Saturday, October 6, 2012

Stolen Review

Title: Stolen: A Letter to my Captor
Author: Lucy Christopher
 

Gemma is a young woman who gets kidnapped at the Bangkok airport. She is taken away by Ty to the middle of Australia where no one lives. There Ty had already built a house where he intends to live forever with Gemma.


This is one roller-coaster of a book!


The descriptions of the setting, the Outback of Australia, were fantastic. I could really picture the beauty of Australia from Christopher's words. The way she had Ty describing his love for the land and living off of it was fantastic too. It made me feel like just taking off and living in the wild myself! There is a quote about nature and the land that fits perfectly with an art project that I am working on that I just loved.

"But without humans, the wild would take over (London). It would only take a hundred years or so for nature to win again."

This quote is a good example of Ty's love for the wilderness and disdain for the city which is a huge part of his reason for doing anything in the book. He talks a lot about nature, humans interacting with it, past stories involving the land and the need to learn to listen to the land.

Stolen takes you on an emotional ride with Gemma as she remembers her home in London, has conflicting feelings over Ty and tries to escape multiple times. The book is written as if Gemma is writing a letter to Ty after everything that had happened. Still, you don't know until the end of the book if Gemma managed to escape her captor or fell in love and decided to stay with him.

Am I the only one who did not completely fall in love with Ty? Even at the end of the book I still disliked him because I feel like he managed to break down part of Gemma. I feel like he played with her emotions to get her to love him. I did love Ty's dedication to the land and did feel a little sorry about what happened to him when he was younger, but a part of me still cannot trust him after everything that he put Gemma through.

Overall, Stolen is a very interesting book to read. It is one that is very well researched and also a bit chilling to read at times.

Rating: 5/5 Chocolate Bars


No comments:

Post a Comment