Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Breathe Book Review

Title: Breathe
Author: Sarah Crossan

Breathe is the first book in a new dystopian series. In this world everyone lives in Pods and the government controls the oxygen supply because of The Switch. The Switch happened when massive deforestation occurred resulting in few trees, no animals, people dying and the controlling government moving selected people into Pods. So, the plot is a typical totalitarian government controlling everything verses a small group of rebels deciding to fight back only now the rebels are hippies.

I really did love this book though. Even though the story idea is not the most original thing in the world, the author did a good job making an interesting and original story out of it.

One thing I liked was how the love triangle was actually one guy and two women because I usually don't see that. it is usually two men fighting over the same girl. Another thing about the love triangle in Breathe is that there is no fighting over the main guy, Quinn. Bea doesn't hate Alina just because Quinn likes her. It is also nice to see Alina not give a damn about Quinn. So, really, it is not much of a love triangle. I'm kind of glad about this fact because it was refreshing to read a story that was more about the dystopian world and the action and less about the romance compared to many other Young Adult books that I've been reading lately.

I have to say though, I don't care much for Quinn. He has not really done much yet but I see a lot of room for his character to grow and develop.

I also liked how the author wrote the story from the three main characters' point of view. It is very interesting to read the events from the three different perspectives and it is not confusing at all to go back and forth between each character.

A lot of reviews that I have read mention that the ending felt weak and disappointing. I can see why some people are saying this. The ending was kind of a weird place to leave off but this is part of a series so I have hope that the next book will wrap things up better.

Breathe is very nicely written and if you love dystopian novels I would give this one a shot.

Rating: 5/5 Chocolate Bars

No comments:

Post a Comment